The Lit Bitch's Reviews > A Noël Killing

A Noël Killing by M.L. Longworth

The Verlaque and Bonnet series is one that I came into a little late, but have always enjoyed the mysteries. They have a sophisticated feel to them but they still manage to maintain their charm.

I think one of the things that always keeps this series in the forefront of my mind is the covers. The covers are incredible and eye catching. Every time I see one I instantly think, ‘oh yes another Verlaque and Bonnet mystery!‘. The covers are so recognizable and admittedly why I picked up the series in the first place. This book features the new redesigned covers and while I think it’s a pretty design, it doesn’t stand out to me.

Maybe that’s because I am so used to the old covers. But at any rate don’t let the aesthetics fool you, this is a great series that I’ve been looking forward to picking back up!

No one describes the south of France like Longworth. She has an incredible gift at descriptions and every time I read one of her novels I immediately want to hop a plane and move there permanently. Having this novel set during Christmas time in the south of France made it all the more enchanting and wonderful to read.

This is truly a wonderful read for the holiday season, but of course any time would do but with the holidays coming up, it felt a little extra special reading it as we come up on Thanksgiving and the official holiday season kick off. As always Antoine Veralaque and his wife Marine Bonnet remind me a little of the odd couple, each are different in their own ways but together they work. Veralaque is a little more reserved and definitely not into the holidays where as Bonnet is more festive and fun, and it’s much this way throughout the series and I love watching them come together to solve mysteries.

The mystery itself was enough to hold my interest. As I said before there is a certain sophistication about all of the mysteries in this series though it’s hard to describe, but I certainly feel as though the mystery was well thought out and executed. Throw in Longworths love of the French countryside, food, and wine, you have a winning series that lets you take a little trip there from the comfort of your own reading nook.

I am looking forward to the next books in this series so much, and with that said, you can easily jump around in the series as I have done over the years.

See my full review here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Noël Killing.

November 8, 2019 – Started Reading