Kim's Reviews > Hidden Rebel

Hidden Rebel by Michelle Janene

bookshelves: arc, christian-romance, historical, fantasy

Hidden Rebel
by Michelle Janene
Book 3 of the Changed Heart series
Rating: 4/5

I don't think I realized that this book was part of a series but it didn't hurt my experience at all. This story can be read as a standalone novel. The story is action-packed and full of adventure. I do love a good strong heroine who can fight. Was the story a bit predictable? Perhaps, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't want the story to end.

Aria has a mission that she is determined to see through to the very end. She is a trained knight disguised as a man who ends up saving a neighboring king's younger son. She is desperately seeking help from this king to fight off the Black Knight that is slowly taking over her home. She searches for the only weapon that can defeat the darkness. Will this widower king be able to help her? Will she be able to fulfill her God-given destiny?

There are quite a few characters but I never felt lost while reading. Certain characters are more fleshed out than others but for the most part, every character gets a moment to shine. As a woman, it is always nice to read about a young woman who can defend herself - even better than a man. However, she is humble about her abilities and doubts her prowess. Her faith is extremely important to her and is what grounds her. Her visions from God guide her on this journey. The different relationships Aria forms are endearing and made me laugh and smile.

This was definitely an enjoyable read. Parts of the story are a bit slow but it's definitely worth reading to the end. I will definitely need to read the other books in this series.

My thanks to the author and CelebrateLit for an ARC of the book. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own. No positive review was expected and no compensation received.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Rebel.

November 7, 2019 – Started Reading