C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Dark Tide

The Dark Tide by Alicia Jasinska

bookshelves: magical-fantasy, read-2020, young-adult

This was so atmospheric and gorgeously written. The prose seriously took my breath away, it just had the gorgeous descriptions I crave in books, and reminded me of Anna Marie McLemore's work. Like let's just introduce you to this witchy, sea wild tale, full of salt and blood and longing girls and aching boys, sacrifices and sinking islands, witches bitter with regret, and girls who want to save the world but ending just breaking everything.

I definitely fell a bit in love with the world. 😍 The whole premise is this island is sinking and the people rely on the witches to hold back the dark tide, but to do that -- the witch queen sacrifices a human boy each year. The tide's malicious pleasure is sated. Everyone else gets to live. But this year, the boy Lina has a crush on (Thomas Lin) is taken and she refuses to let him die. So she takes his place. And then uncovers dark secrets behind the ritual while she's caught up in the witches tower with the dark and bitter Eva, witch queen who infamously has no heart. This all just makes my bones weep with joy and it's a tale crafted with words that just capture imagination and enchant you.

Dark. Bitter. Lovely.

I did want a bit more from the characters though. I loved them! I just felt I barely knew anyone except Lina. She was headstrong, brave, typical Gryffindor who ran into trouble without ever thinking about it. But I just wanted things to get deeper. The plot hinged on Thomas Lin but I barley understood him as a person. And I LOVED EVA (omg she is an antisocial piece of black and bitter coffee) and wish we had more about her backstory too. Eva, Thomas and Natalia's story would have been amazing to know...I almost wish the book started there?

A beautiful tale, very ethereal and atmospheric. Queer and dark and whimsical. I just wanted it to be a bit more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tide.

November 8, 2019 – Shelved
November 8, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 9, 2020 – Started Reading
April 10, 2020 –
page 150
44.64% "this is mostly about a slytherin needing to convince a dumbass impulsive gryffindor to be her girlfriend"
April 15, 2020 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy