Melissa's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: this-is-a-reread-fool

Original 2012 review: Since we watched the first season of the HBO show last week, I had to protect my pretentious "I read the book" person cred. Thanks to Kelly for lending me her copy so I don't have to be 61 in line at work. Let's all have a moment of silence for the poor, poor me of a week ago who had not ever read this.

Okay, over. I'm not sure why I was such a hold out on both the book and the show, because they are fantastic in pretty much equal measure. It's interesting to see the changes that were made between the two (2015 edit - yes, but interesting isn't really the word I'd use these days. Maybe despicable is more appropriate) - why make Khal Drogo a rapist? Why give Cat that silly-ass visit with Jaime? And why make Tyrion such a wench's man? I am all aflutter to keep on with this series (luckily, the hold list for the rest of the books is much shorter, so I've already got the second in my hot little hand). There's so much to look forward to! What is going on with Sansa and Clegane? How hilarious will it be once Tyrion gets to court and starts ripping on Joffrey? And please, please god let Joffrey get his head piked at some point, preferrably by Robb.

2015 re-reading review: Goddammit, this just makes me so angry at the show all over again. Dany & Drogo's wedding night is just as consensual as I remembered it & thinking about the sexual assault it became on the show, especially in light of the fact that the showrunners turned almost every consensual sex scene in these books into a rape scene instead pisses me off. Eff you, David Benioff.

But this was very, very worth it to re-read because it's just a flat-out great book. There are highly problematic elements to the whole Dany/Dothraki plotline, of course, and every time a really tense chapter ended I'd turn the page & be like, "Oh my god, not with Bran again," but on the whole I was able to get pretty lost in this all over again for a few days & I'm very disappointed that there's a hold list for the second one. All the other books aren't looking nearly as shiny to me today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

March 31, 2012 – Started Reading
March 31, 2012 – Shelved
April 4, 2012 – Finished Reading
February 21, 2018 – Shelved as: this-is-a-reread-fool

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi hehehe

rachel Welcome to the club. I was mildly obsessed with the Sansa/Sandor Clegane relationship in the book because I have a particular love for annoying characters or criminals having a personly soft spot that makes them less annoying and/or tough for a second.

Khal Drogo is a rapist on the show? I've never seen it but that really disappoints me.

Melissa rachel wrote: "Welcome to the club. I was mildly obsessed with the Sansa/Sandor Clegane relationship in the book because I have a particular love for annoying characters or criminals having a personly soft spot ..."

In the book, dunno if you remember, Khal basically sexes Dany up & the first time they do it after they're married it's highly consensual. In the show, she's weeping hysterically as he does it, not only the first time but several times after that. Then she learns some tricks from her slaves and all of a sudden they're in love. It was pretty disappointing, especially since it smacks of falling in love with one's rapist, which is of course nauseating. Drogo is a lot cooler in the book.

Christopher I read 2.5 books in this series before getting distracted. Haven't had this much fun with fantasy since I read the LotR series in 6th grade. I need to pick it back up again.

message 5: by rachel (last edited Apr 05, 2012 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

rachel Melissa wrote: "rachel wrote: "Welcome to the club. I was mildly obsessed with the Sansa/Sandor Clegane relationship in the book because I have a particular love for annoying characters or criminals having a pers..."

I definitely remember that. In fact when I talked with some of my friends, I do remember that their expressions were kind of askew when I mentioned loving Drogo and Dany's relationship. What a disappointment. Maybe the producers felt it would be distasteful to have her enjoying a healthy sex life in an arranged marriage, but what they came up with seems far worse.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly two thumbs up for the sentence: "Let's all have a moment of silence for the poor, poor me of a week ago who had not ever read this."

Melissa Christopher wrote: "I read 2.5 books in this series before getting distracted. Haven't had this much fun with fantasy since I read the LotR series in 6th grade. I need to pick it back up again."

Storm of Swords hold queue = 19 people! Feast for Crows = 10! Now is the perfect time to start back in, if you've got the time.

rachel Fun fact: I found a decently good copy of Storm of Swords at my favorite used book store for 50 cents last weekend!

Melissa rachel wrote: "Fun fact: I found a decently good copy of Storm of Swords at my favorite used book store for 50 cents last weekend!"

Did you buy it? So far in Clash of Kings, the Sansa/Clegane relationship is only getting better and better, Tyrion is being his usual quippy bad self, and Arya's plotline is just divine. I wish I could just sit at home & read aaaallll daayyy long.

rachel I didn't because I hadn't read the second one yet. :(. You are definitely making me want to pick it up but I am in one of those funks where I don't feel like reading but am doing it to make my goal. Blahhh. But I hope you enjoy it!!

message 11: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily argh, all right all right, i'll give it another shot...

Melissa Emily wrote: "argh, all right all right, i'll give it another shot..."

Doooo it!