Kav's Reviews > The Irish Healer

The Irish Healer by Nancy Herriman

U 50x66
Mar 31, 2012

Read in March, 2012

If you love books by Laurie Alice Eakes and Julie Klassen, you are going to love The Irish Healer! This stunning debut novel is seeped in that kind of Austenish style. It was such a thrill to read that I raced right through but then tried to put the brakes on towards the end because I wasn't ready for it to be over! Does anyone else do that when they are reading a good book?

Herriman immersed me in the gritty reality of 19th century London and she didn't gloss over the seamier aspects. The contempt in which the Irish were treated really got my ire up, seeing as I hale from that fair isle. And the inequality between men and women -- oy, don't get me started. While I love to romanticize that era just like everyone else, I was grateful that Herriman didn't. It brought such depth to her story and upped my blood pressure a good bit as well! :-)

Both Rachel and James have so much more in common then they realize, but neither is bent on sharing their past which adds an air of mystery to their romance. The attraction is there, never mind that they are from different classes, but as the reader, I could see why they would be good for each other and it about drove me crazy waiting for one of them to reveal the reason for the their mixed emotions regarding healing. But when one finally did, I wanted to throttle the other! LOL. Herriman kept me on my toes right to the very last page.

James is an admirable tortured hero with so many rough edges that it was impossible to smooth them all out. In fact, he possessed one significantly un-hero-like quality that should have repelled me but the author created such depth to his character that she managed to engage my sympathy instead. Not an easy task, given his failing. Now doesn't that intrigue you? I hope so because this is one book you do not want to miss!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Irish Healer.

03/15 marked as: read

writer... luv your review. Finally rcvd it in yesterday's mail after TBD lost the order twice! so I'm thinking it will be my St Patrick's Day reading treat :))