Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)'s Reviews > Mountain Man

Mountain Man by Keith C. Blackmore

Mar 31, 2012

liked it
Read from April 07 to 08, 2012

I was provided a copy of this E-book by the Author Keith C. Blackmore in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for them.

Review:

Gus is a middle aged man living on a mountain trying to keep himself alive and safe after a zombie epidemic sweeps the globe. After spending two years in remote isolation, Gus comes across a badly injured man while on one of his routine scavenging missions. While the man heals the two become friends and with winter fast approaching they are left with no choice but to return to the city below the mountain to look for more supplies. What they find waiting for them is much worse than just the dead mouths eagerly wanting to feast on their flesh.

When the Author contacted me asking if I would like to review his book of course I jumped at the chance. I am always looking for new Zombie reads and had read so many favorable reviews that I went into reading this with fairly high hopes. While the book was certainly enjoyable and written extremely well it was still rather predictable by the end.

Scott and Gus the two main characters were both well written, fleshed out Characters. I think the two men played well against each other and their age differences made for enjoyable banter even under stressful circumstances.

On the other hand here we have Tenner. He was introduced no doubt to show that there are still things scarier than The Walking Dead in the world, but I just felt he didn't really fit into the story well. The time jumps to show his arrival did nothing for me. While I feel he will be a big part in later books I think his role in Gus's story wasn't necessary.

We also have the character Roxanne introduced right at the end. I knew as soon as she showed up that things wouldn't end well. I won't give it away but it definitely lessened all the buildup from the first half of the book. It's not like the Author even hid the ruse well. I could clearly see how things would end the moment she stepped in the house, right down to the "weapon" she carried.

The Clear Winner in this Book is the Zombies themselves. I found them to be menacing and loved all the scenes involving them. I think the Characters also played well off of them. I am curious where the bodies keep going of those put down. I hope this is touched upon more in the next book.

Overall is this book worth your time to read? Absolutely, if your a fan of Zombies you should check this out. Is it unique and fresh? Not really, but what is nowadays lol. In the end I am Rating this Book ★★★ Stars. Worth a read, worth your time, but fairly predictable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mountain Man.

04/07/2012
04/07/2012
60.0% "Pretty good so far."

Mardi Mars It's totally fresh ... I'm a HUGE zombie fan and these books are a totally fresh take on a flogged subject. I love Gus , what a tragic badarse who is more of a realistic ( yes abit lucky) character than 9/10 zombie hero's