Tracie Momie's Reviews > I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Aug 17, 2008

This was another book on my list to read that believe it or not was NOT required reading when I was in school.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Angelou's account of her childhood and didn't realize this was just one volume of her autobiographical work. The book read like fiction perhaps there were some embellishments for entertainment value because I find it hard to believe her memory was so exact and precise with the descriptions she gave of her life in the country and in the city.

It is obvious she was a very insecure girl who just wanted to be loved and reassured that she was good enough. I think Ms. Angelou's story is the story of a lot of little girls who grew up in the South without a father figure in their life or someone to give them the strength and courage they need to be themselves.

I plan on picking up the next installment of her life story and although I know how she turned out I can't wait to see how her journey unfolds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.