Jena Henry's Reviews > It's Not PMS, It's You

It's Not PMS, It's You by Rich Amooi

I have to be honest, I did not like the title of this book. Although after reading and loving the whole story, perhaps it is a bit tongue-in-cheek. But still. Moving on from the title, everything about this book is fun, entertaining, positive, encouraging and a pleasure and a joy to read. Mr. Amooi’s bio on Amazon tells us that he writes Quirky Romantic Comedies from a Guy's Perspective.

So, let’s dive into this charmer, with a quick recap. The character pictured on the cover of the book is Ruth “Ruthless” Harper. She has always been a “Type A” performer and is well-educated and striving hard to be the managing partner at her business consulting firm. For 10 years she has worked non-stop to reel in the best clients. Then one day, she has an epiphany at the luggage carousel in an airport.

Turns out Ruth isn’t all hard nails and brass knuckles. She begins to realize that under her hyper-focused façade is still the nice girl who loves her parents and grandparents, and adores her best friend and secretary, Dee. In fact, it is Dee who has planted a seed and encouraged Ruth to transform her outdoor patio area into a calm oasis. When Ruth gets home from her life changing experience, she meets the landscape architect Nick and his partner Brandon, and the seed of change begins to sprout and grow.

Ruth decides she needs a lover and so she applies all her business principles to create a plan to find the perfect partner. Ruth mentions her love of Lucy Arnez and “I love Lucy” and as we get to know Ruth, she really is like Lucy in a lot of ways. Ruth is witty, bubbly, very pretty, a bit prone to embarrassing mayhem, bright and eager. Especially when she’s with Nick.

But she does have to meet quite a few toads before she finds her prince and her dating escapes are so funny, especially the speed dating night. (Her disaster starts when she is given a nametag with a typo- her name has been spelled as “Reth”.) When business dealings threaten to blow up her life, her strong foundation of love and support enables her to choose the right path.

This book abounds with real and appealing characters. Dee is a good counterweight to Ruth and manages to find some romance, too. Nick the landscape designer is in many ways like Ruth, good-looking, a hard-worker, and talented and a bit further along the path of enlightenment than Ruth is. And Ruth’s parents are the best! And there’s an adorable dog, too. The book is written in first person, with a clear and fast-paced style,

“There was nothing sexier in the world than a confident woman.”

Thanks to Rachel’s Random Resources for a review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not PMS, It's You.

Finished Reading