Fran's Reviews > The Light After the War

The Light After the War by Anita Abriel

Inspired by true events experienced by author Anita Abriel's mother, a Holocaust survivor, "The Light After the War" is the story of a fight for survival, hope and happiness. We travel with best friends Vera and Edith viewing their lives both before and after World War II. In 1944, Hitler ordered German troops to invade Hungary. Vera Frankel, Edith Ban and their mothers were herded onto a train bound for Auschwitz. Mothers Alice Frankel and Lily Ban had a plan. When the train made a stop, a German guard came on board. Edith asked him to share a bottle of "birthday schnapps" with her. The super strong schnapps was bound to put the guard to sleep. Failing to do so, Alice Frankel blocked Vera and Edith from view, then pushed them off the train. Alice and Lily were unable to quickly disembark and were forced to continue on to Auschwitz. Devastated to be left without their mothers, teenagers Vera and Edith now needed to find shelter or "freeze to death" in a field.

Imagine the inner strength required for Edith to take a leap of faith and flag down a passing truck! Informing the driver that they were at a party and got lost, he agreed to transport them to a nearby farmhouse. He issued the following warning. "Next time, make up a better story...Be careful." Vera and Edith were able to hide in the barn of the Dunkel farm in Austria for over one year by assisting Ottie Dunkel with the daily chores on the farm. "While we were eating Ottie's food and sleeping under her blankets, our mothers were hungry and shivering in iron cots...after the war, when we were alive and healthy and breathing in the mountain air...they were bones heaped in an open grave...[We] may as well have escorted [them] to [their] death."

Edith was the wild one. She was fashion conscious, had dreams of being a dress designer. Dispirited when her childhood sweetheart, Stefan did not return from a labor camp, she "...believed falling in love was the answer to everything, even escaping the war." Bookish Vera, fluent in five languages dreamed about being a playwright. She was able to secure an secretarial job. She now had hope. "Everyone's war has to end sometime."

"The Light After the War" by Anita Abriel, a work of historical fiction, describes "...how during a time of unfathomable evil,the strength of the human spirit prevailed." Although the many coincidences portrayed in this tome seemed unlikely, the enduring friendship of two Hungarian refugees, friends since childhood, kept hope alive.

Thank you Atria Books for the ARC in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light After the War.

November 7, 2019 – Started Reading
November 7, 2019 – Shelved
November 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Lovely review Fran :)

Fran Richard wrote: "Lovely review Fran :)"

Richard...you are most kind!👍

message 3: by Beata (new)

Beata Grand review, Fran :)) Must check this title at the library :)

Fran Beata wrote: "Grand review, Fran :)) Must check this title at the library :)"

Thank you, Beata!💕😍

message 5: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Fabulous review, Fran! 😘💛

message 6: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lovely review Fran 🤗

Fran Paromjit wrote: "Fabulous review, Fran! 😘💛"

Thank you, love!😍💕

Fran Maureen wrote: "Lovely review Fran 🤗"

Thank you so much, Maureen!😘🌹

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro I can easily imagine the flagging down of the truck to be a heart-in-your-mouth moment. Excellent review, Fran!

message 10: by Fran (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran Kevin wrote: "I can easily imagine the flagging down of the truck to be a heart-in-your-mouth moment. Excellent review, Fran!"

Thank you, my thoughtful Kevin!

message 11: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila A fascinating review Fran. Thank you. This book has been added to my list of books to read.

message 12: by Fran (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran Leila wrote: "A fascinating review Fran. Thank you. This book has been added to my list of books to read."

Thank you. Leila...Happy reading!😘🌹

Annette Great review Fran. This was a 4 star book for me as well.

message 14: by TBV (new)

TBV Very nicely reviewed, Fran.

message 15: by Fran (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran Annette wrote: "Great review Fran. This was a 4 star book for me as well."

Annette...I wish ,however, the author provided us with notes indicating what her mother's real experiences were during the Holocaust.

message 16: by Fran (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran TBV wrote: "Very nicely reviewed, Fran."

Thank you so much, TBV!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Loved your review, Fran! Glad you enjoyed it.

message 18: by Fran (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Loved your review, Fran! Glad you enjoyed it."

Thank you so very much, Mary Beth!💕😘

message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie Terrific review, Fran!! 💖

message 20: by Fran (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran Julie wrote: "Terrific review, Fran!! 💖"

Thank you, Julie...much appreciated!🌹😍

Debra Fantastic review, Fran! Glad you enjoyed it.

message 22: by Fran (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran Debra wrote: "Fantastic review, Fran! Glad you enjoyed it."

Thank you so much, Debra!🌹💕