Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader's Reviews > The Company of Eight

The Company of Eight by Harriet Whitehorn

bookshelves: earcs

I read this book in anticipation of 'The Conspiracy of Magic' and I wasn't disappointed, in fact I was beyond delighted. This is a bit of a 'darker' fantasy for MG readers [but not so dark as to say it's inappropriate]. We have Cassandra introduced to us, a protagonist with a dream that she intends to fulfill. Unfortunately it seems the universe has taken her on the long route to get there. Though Cassandra wishes to be an acrobat in the Circus, this is not a circus book and doesn't pretend to be, this is a book about a girl trying to find her way through the world and getting caught up in events larger than herself and possibly even the kingdom she hails from.

There's a great lush world that has been built and the characters are all so unique in their presences and personalities that it doesn't feel like they're just shallow side characters and that's really enjoyable.

I would highly recommend this to readers 9 + who have a love of fantasy and adventure. There's an island full of women, a circus on a boat, magic, and danger perhaps lurking around every corner. A great read.

Thanks to Stripes Books for a copy of this in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Company of Eight.

November 7, 2019 – Started Reading