Mich's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Mar 31, 2012

bookshelves: vamps-i-love, favorite-series, paranormal-romance, will-absolutely-re-read
Read from June 16 to 27, 2012

JF did not disappoint with her first book in Vlad's story. I finished this book in 2 days. (probably could have done it in 1 day, but I really needed sleep last night, haha)
I have been patiently waiting for Vlad's story to be told for a LONG time now. I have read all 6 of the books in the Night Huntress Series as well as the 2 Night Huntress World books. I adore Cat and Bones story and have loved how JF has spawned all new stories for her other characters.
I don't want to fill this review with spoilers, so let me lay down the gist of the story and tell you why you need to read this book.

We very quickly get thrown into the world of "Leila" a circus type performer who can electrocute you with her touch because of a tragic accident in her past. Somehow this tragic accident gifts her the power of telepathy. She gets kidnapped because of her super skills by some misfit vampires.
Leila is forced to touch objects which triggers her telepathy and causes her to be able to see the past, present and sometimes the future. One object puts her in the mind of our very own Vlad. Though terrified of him, Leila reaches out to Vlad to save her and what do you know...he treks all the way from Romania to Florida to save her.
Of course, peril ensues as we find there is a bigger plot indeed to ensnare Vlad, and Leila is the missing link in catching him.

What you get in Once Burned is similar to other JF books. A great plot with some fantastic new characters. And of course, enough lusty- "DO IT ALREADY" moments to keep you fully focused in on the book.

What I wasn't ready for was how much I chuckled at so many different scenes in this book. I always loved the character of Vlad, but his arrogance and humor really tickled me over and over. I really felt the Leila and Vlad were totally developed in this book. Of course, JF leaves just enough "what ifs" to leave us drooling for another Night Prince Book.

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't talk about how freaking hot Vlad is. My oh my. Not only is he dangerously on the verge of being the hottest vampire ever (sorry Bones!!) but his arrogance is well, endearing! (swoon)

What I missed out on in this book...Very little interaction with some of our old friends. You get a smidge of Cat/Bones and Mencheres/Kira. But Unfortunately no Denise and Spade.

Favorite lines (god there were a lot, I stoped highlighting in my nook)

(Leila)..."Trying without success to pretend I'd misunderstood the image I'd glimpsed. Yeah,right. Because Vlad had been between my legs looking for a set of keys he'd lost."

(Leila, Vlad and Gretchen-Leila's sis).."I'm supposed to trust Dracula with your life?" "Not Dracula,"..."Vlad Tepesh, former voivode of Wallachia and the most arrogant, deadly, frightening man I've ever met." ...His lips curled with disdainful amusement. "Compliments won't sway me any more than the word please, Leila." ..."You take those as compliments?" ..."Of course." His smile bared his fangs. "She named all of my best qualities..."

(Leila thinking about Bones-but doesn't realize he can also read minds)...He was also handsome in a too pretty way that made me think with less muscles, a wig, and some makeup, he'd look great in a dress.

If haven't read any of Jeaniene Frost's book, you need to start at "Halfway to the Grave" and work your way to Vlad.(You can thank me later!!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

06/26/2012 "Omg, I want to get home from work NOW so I can read this...the first thing i did this morning was make sure my nook changed from "pre-order" to "read" LOL"