SuperWendy's Reviews > Lady Be Reckless

Lady Be Reckless by Megan Frampton

bookshelves: work-project

I have a long, colorful history with "light historicals" - which is to say, they're not really a favorite. I've been burned too many times by the improbably cutesy. But this book worked for me because the author has some underlying serious conflict (the hero's illegitimacy and how he is viewed by society) wrapped in a romantic-comedy-like candy coated shell. The heroine is reminiscent of Austen's Emma - which is to say she's a do-gooder who thinks she knows best for everybody else. Her heart is in the right place however, and she does grow over the course of the story - so she worked for me. Pairing her up with the more world-weary hero who is smitten with her from the start (even if he doesn't outwardly show it) is perfect. It has sex scenes in it, but other than that this read a bit Traditional Regency to me in tone (even though, yes, I'm aware it's set in the Victorian era....). I did feel like the epilogue could have been a bit meatier, but other than that - I liked this quite a bit. I'm not all the interested in going back to read Eleanor's story - but I'm all in with Ida and Pearl.

ETA -Disclaimer: I had a previous working relationship with the author through the now defunct web site Heroes & Heartbreakers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Be Reckless.

November 7, 2019 – Started Reading