Carol's Reviews > The Yard

The Yard by Alex Grecian

Mar 31, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, thrillers-mysteries, historical-fiction, first-reads

In 1889 in London, the newly created Murder Squad of Scotland Yard finally caught the notorious Jack the Ripper. Somehow he slipped away, never to be found again. This was enough to demoralize the twelve detectives but they were also reeling from their huge inventory of murder cases.

Suppose that you are the newly appointed Inspector Walter Day. You don’t know why you were picked to head the Murder Squad and are not feeling very confident. Inspector Christian Little was just found dead in a steamer truck. He died gruesomely painful death. You wish you were back on your old constable beat.

Suppose you were Constable Neil Hammersmith. You were there when the steamer trunk was opened. You looked around in the crowd to see if there were any people who were not surprised when it was opened. You are a very hard worker and had been working since you were only five in the coal mines. You hated the deep, dark places and felt fortunate to be working above the ground.

Or you were a little girl working in a matchstick factory under horrible working conditions and you get something called “phossy jaw” from the particles breaking off the matches.

Or you are a little four or five year boy who had been kidnapped to be used as a chimney sweep. You never bathed because what’s the point? And some of you would die from getting stuck in the chimney.

This atmospheric old style mystery invites you to experience Victorian London with all its dangers. Reading this book is almost like staying up late and watching old Sherlock Holmes movies.

Some of the grizzly details did made me respond out loud when reading but the story was well worth it. Fingerprinting was in its infancy, so the intellect and keen observation were often the best mystery tools then. Having worked in a federal agency before, I was amazed at how little case management has changed even with the advent of computers there are always too many cases to work.

I highly recommend this to all people enjoy a great mystery in the tradition of Sherlock Holmes.

I received this book as a part of the GoodReads program but that in no way influenced my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yard.

March 31, 2012 – Shelved
April 5, 2012 –
page 0
April 5, 2012 –
page 0
0.0% "I am waiting for it to arrive!!"
April 18, 2012 –
page 26
6.16% "I am waiting for it to arrive!!"
April 19, 2012 –
page 54
12.8% "I am waiting for it to arrive!!"
April 20, 2012 –
page 90
21.33% "I am waiting for it to arrive!!"
April 21, 2012 –
page 130
30.81% "I am waiting for it to arrive!!"
April 23, 2012 –
page 250
59.24% "I am waiting for it to arrive!!"
April 24, 2012 –
page 382
90.52% "I am waiting for it to arrive!!"
April 25, 2012 –
page 432
100% "Review to come soon."
April 25, 2012 – Finished Reading