Mindaugas Mozūras's Reviews > Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber

Super Pumped by Mike Isaac

The law isn’t what is written. It’s what is enforced.

I vividly remember the LOGIN conference in May 2016. That was before the nightmare year Uber survived in 2017. Uber was still seen as cool, even if it had blemishes to its name.

During LOGIN, my co-worker came up to me, and passionately described the workshop conducted by Uber engineers. He detailed Uber's values and how we could use some of them at our company. The longer I listened, the more passionately I felt that we definitely should not use those values at Vinted. I don't want to be "super-pumped."

I did not predict Uber would end up as it did. But I was not surprised. I was surprised though by a lot of the details in this book. Super Pumped tells quite a compelling story. Very much recommended for anyone at least a little interested.

The book worked for me as a study on corporate values and how they stem from the founders. While it's a cautionary tale on how values can go wrong, Uber still ended up a company worth billions. It was not explored in the book, but it would be interesting to think through which values were the good ones and how the good ones could've worked without the bad ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Pumped.

November 6, 2019 – Shelved