Chibineko's Reviews > 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 4 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 4]

美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 4 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 4] by Naoko Takeuchi

Mar 30, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I'd forgotten that the newest volume of Sailor Moon came out this month, so when I saw it on the shelves of my local B&N, I instantly grabbed it off the shelves and made for the front register like someone was going to snatch my copy out of my hands. (Hey, I've been to conventions. It's murder out there.)

I was almost immediately rewarded with a lovely set of splash pages in full color. If there’s one thing I absolutely love about the reprints, it’s that Kodansha has tried as hard as possible to mirror the Japanese editions. The translations might be awkward, but at least we’re saved from the terrible nicknames that Mixx/TokyoPop gave us. (I’ll never forgive them for having Tuxedo Mask/Darien/Mamoru call Usagi “Buns” as a shortening for Bunny.)

The translation will probably still have awkward points for some readers, but overall I was pretty happy with this volume. I didn’t see anything that really stood out that bugged or bothered me, which was nice. It was awesome being able to step back into the series and enjoy all of the differences between the anime and the manga, especially in this saga. I have to say that I seem to like the character of Chibi-Usa more in this translation in the manga- she seems more like a scared child than the manga equivalent of Scrappy-Doo that she seemed to appear like in the Mixx translations.

One thing that sort of surprised me was that there were hints of sexuality in this volume, with Usagi and Mamoru sharing a pretty lingering floor kiss at one point. (There’s also a scene of him later bare-chested in a flashback, which came across to me that they did more than kiss.) Don’t worry parents, there’s absolutely nothing gratuitous here and if you weren’t looking for it or looking to read anything into it, you’d never even pick up on it. I just wanted to mention this because I really thought this brought a deeper level to the romance between Usagi and Mamoru and it’s one of those things that I think TP/Mixx tried very hard to scrub away. (I’ll have to check and see, but I don’t remember this in the previous translations.)

If you’ve loved the series so far, buy this volume. The Black Moon arc isn’t necessarily my most favorite of the arcs (the first arc and S are my absolute favs), but it’s definitely worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 4 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 4].