Jonathan Pongratz's Reviews > The Farm: A Short

The Farm by Sean K. Vlk

Original Review on Jaunts & Haunts

5/5

Five farmyard stars for this little tale of terror!

Since the blurb pretty much covers everything I could tell you without giving anything away, I'll just go over why I enjoyed this short story.

The thing I enjoyed best about this story was its simplicity. Sometimes its best to go with the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid), and with this story, it really shows.

The writing is clear, to the point, and doesn't mess around. While The Ballad of Bonnie Rotten was slightly more poetic, this one didn't do that to the same extent, and it was enjoyable that the author could switch it up like that.

I honestly felt bad for the MC, Harold. He's a simple man at heart, and the universe just seemed to dump all over him. I could certainly understand the way he felt.

And of course, no story by this author would be complete without a healthy dose of horror. This time it was slightly more subtle, but that's what I loved about it. It kept me guessing for a bit like "Is that what I think it is?"

This short story is great, full of heartache and horror. Definitely worth a quick read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farm.

November 5, 2019 – Shelved