Shelley's Reviews > Code Name Verity

bookshelves: 2012-releases, netgalley-arc

Genre: Historical Fiction
Rating: 4-5 stars

*Review*

Code Name Verity is a historical fiction novel that is told in diary form. The story follows Julia Beaufort-Stuart (spy) and Maddie Brodatt (pilot) as they serve the United Kingdom during World War II.

Julia just happens to be very good at speaking and understanding both French and German and therefore gets pulled into the Special Duties section of the RAF as not only an interpreter, but later as a spy. Maddie is a spot on mechanic who went from fixing bicycles to being an amazing pilot who can fly just about any plane the British are able to put into the sky.

Julia and Maddie’s paths intertwine over the course of several years which eventually leads them to becoming best friends. On a secret mission to France in which Maddie’s plane is shot down, Julia is captured by the German occupiers after making a silly mistake. She is told that her best friend is dead, and is then tortured to the point where she reveals things to her German captor who goes against his superiors’ wishes by not executing her right away.

Over the course of the story, we are told that Julia is a collaborator and working with the Germans. But, there is so much more to it than that. Julia DOES reveal certain details about things the Germans badly need to know. The question remains for the reader to figure out if they are they actually true or are they fabricated in order to tell a story.

As for Maddie, we get a chance to read about her trying experiences after crashing in France and not knowing what happened to her best friend or the fact that she doesn’t speak a word of German or French. We are shown how she ultimately makes it out of France with the help of some French freedom fighters. We are also shown how much Maddie’s friendship with Julia really meant to the two women.

I've said this before on my updates, yet it bears repeating. This was a Bloody Brilliant story. I loved this story from the first page to the last. I love the fact that Wein uses two distinct women to tell her story about the trials and tribulations of women during World War II.

If you weren’t aware of how important women were to the overall war effort during World War II, then you should seriously ask your history professor or your grandparents if they are of the appropriate age. Hell, go to the library and borrow a book! There are plenty of writers who brought their courage and sacrifices to light in a very respectful and meaningful way.

I enjoyed Julie telling the story about her best friend Maddie while she was a prisoner of the Nazis. I also loved the fact that Maddie had a similar chance to tell her story about Julia when she thought she was going to be tried and hanged by the UK authorities after crashing her plane in France. I also LOVED the revelation that I shall not spoil about Julie’s time as a captive spy.

There is a terrible choice made during the second part of this book that will leave readers either stunned, or in agreement that they would have had the courage to do the same thing. Either way, it really shows that women do have a role in wars and not just men.

If you enjoy historical fiction, then you will love this book. I encourage those who have any sense of adventure to take a chance with this book. Like it or not, you will get a pretty decent story from an author who actually took her time writing and researching this story to make it more realistic.

Auto approved via NetGalley on 04/28/2012 *Disney-Hyperion* Releases 05/15/2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

March 30, 2012 – Shelved
April 28, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-releases
April 28, 2012 – Shelved as: netgalley-arc
April 30, 2012 – Started Reading
May 2, 2012 –
18.0% "Bloody Brilliant if I dare to say so."
May 3, 2012 –
30.0% "Still enjoying this book."
May 3, 2012 –
75.0% "The second part of this book is flying by."
May 4, 2012 – Finished Reading