Robin Loves Reading's Reviews > The Quiet Girls: An absolutely addictive mystery thriller

The Quiet Girls by J.M.  Hewitt

Detective Carrie Flynn has a case involving a missing eleven-year-old named Melanie Wilson, and she is reminded of a tragic time in her childhood when her little sister was missing when they were children.

It is not a cut-and-dried case for Carrie, however. The story focuses first on Melanie and her two friends when something terrible happened to them. Melanie's home life is seen, and her father makes a life-changing decision for their entire family. Another layer to this situation is that at the police station Carrie has received several phone calls from a distraught young woman. Could all three situations be connected?

This multi-layered story touches on a very sensitive subject as danger does indeed draw very close to Melanie. The story is beyond twisted and has more than one storyline. Not only is Melanie's father experiencing as close to a mental break as one could, and this changes everything about the family. Despite the chaos the family ensues, Carrie and her partner do whatever it is they can to locate Melanie and her family.

The Quiet Girls is the first story in the Detective Carrie Flynn series. Carrie's past was explored and we learn what makes her so good at her job now. She was the only character I really liked, although I admired Melanie Alice, Melanie's mother, was rather difficult to accept. The story itself was very intriguing and had a thrilling ending. I do look forward to seeing Carrie work on and solve other cases.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quiet Girls.

November 5, 2019 – Shelved