Sarah's Reviews > A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

Aug 17, 2008

did not like it

Anyone can be mindful for an instant, staying mindful, though, can be the work of a lifetime. I feel like Tolle has reduced himself to a shell of a person with no ego, no emotions, no thoughts, no past, no future in the mistaken view that somehow his detachment makes him a deeper, more spiritual being. Unfortunately, I see him as a social misfit who has managed to hypnotize himself with endless verbiage so that he doesn't have to face up to the pain and suffering that are a normal part of existence. I am happy for him that he was able to "awaken" and get out of his hell that contributed to his depression and attempted suicide, but to assume that he is enlightened and can now enlighten everyone else is too weird.
Not that I know a lot about Buddhism, but this book is basically everything I did learn in a few classes about Eastern religions. Those scholars took thousands of years trying to teach enlightenment, and now Tolle is going to do it in one 300 pg book?
If you ever read Viktor Frankl, he was teaching what it is to be awake, he learned this from being in the death camps in Nazi Germany and by watching those around him, who were survivors and who were dying...Man's Search for Meaning is a much better book to read about becoming whole and getting everything out of our lives. i read it last summer and have it if you want.
Anyone, long review, did the group like it overall or not???

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Earth.

Sally Since you weren't at book club, I've gotta see your review of the book!

Sarah I think that because I have what I feel is a strong faith, this book just didn't make a big impression. I feel like a lot of the ego stuff he was talking about is basically morals and values, of which if you already have a high regard for and were taught about them, then a new awakening to being good is sort of insulting.
Anyone, long review, did the group like it overall or not???

Sally Wow, I couldn't really put into words what I thought of the book but I thought he put a different spin on the teachings of Jesus. It was very interesting after my very intense year of RCIA. I kept thinking to myself, If you just feel the pain of your situation and then move on how will there be any change in the world or your life?

It was very thought provoking for me when he was talking about, who you are, or who you are not. He says, you're not what you do or say, or what you think. He says, that you are basically just your spirit. It is very freeing to think that all of your mistakes are not really you. Onthe other hand, all your mistakes made you who you are, so I really don't know if I can buy it. Life is a journey where you make mistakes and learn from them and try to better yourself.

I liked that the book made me think of a lot deeper than usual. My head hurts.

I couldn't really get a feel for what the group thought of the book as a whole. A lot of people were very very quiet. Gini, Meghan, Renee, and Kate seemed to like it. Angie hated it! She's so funny. I didn't mind it but didn't necessarily agree with it.

Stephanie Ladd I think you missed the point if you think it's about a new awakening to being good. It's about a new awakening to being ourselves not what the ego wants, e.g., being seen as good.

message 5: by Jeff (new) - rated it 1 star

Jeff Youngblood Tolle is full of gibberish. I think he had a psychological break and the only way his mind could cope is to find a brain numbing philosophy that turned him into a walking zombie devoid of feeling, which he masks by drawing in thoughts from spiritual gurus from over the centuries. Ironic that he is touting the evil of ego, yet has presumed to produce a book to lead so many to the next age of enlightened existence. I'd say that's the hieght of ego and delusion. We've seen this before.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric I like your comment on "staying mindful." I thought that was very insightful for me, thank you.

message 7: by Traci (new)

Traci Lawrence A profound review. Thanks!

message 8: by Aiste (new)

Aiste Once being a faithful, God fearful Catholic, after reading this book, I cannot help but believe, that Christians misinterpreted the whole Bible:)