Krystal's Reviews > We Still Live

We Still Live by Sara Dobie Bauer

bookshelves: dark-contemporary

From the blurb, I expected parts of the story to go a little differently. The plot took an unexpected turn after Simon, the "violent ex" shows up. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. The story was still interesting and enjoyable. It focuses more on pain and healing, but the whole Simon thing was like a firework that turns out to be a dud after you light it. It made me feel like Isaac had been overreacting about his past the entire story. He wasn't really, but I still feel like he was overly dramatic about it. John turns out to have way more issues and a much longer road to recovery. Isaac is just kind of like, “so I dealt with my past, I’m okay now, so let’s move on to helping John in an almost overbearing fashion.” I loved John. I felt for him. He had a satisfying and believable arc. I get that Isaac felt bad for things and that he was trying to, sometimes literally, run away from his problems, but I didn’t make the emotional connection with his issues that I made with John’s.

That said, I really enjoyed reading this, to the point where I didn’t want to put it down, and I don’t usually enjoy romance-heavy contemporary this much or find it this interesting. John’s road to healing was believable, almost too much so, and there were some other things that happened that showed all the different ways people cope with tragedy, both in good ways and in terrible ways, and while I was expecting some of it, it didn’t happened the way I thought it would, in a good way, kind of. Rough going for the characters, but good and realistic from a story perspective. I thought everyone’s issues were handled well, and the story gave me some things to think about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Still Live.

November 4, 2019 – Started Reading
November 4, 2019 – Shelved
November 23, 2019 – Shelved as: dark-contemporary
November 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Trio excellent review Krystal

Krystal Trio wrote: "excellent review Krystal
I agree about Simon, I thought that whole part of the book would be powerful in a way equal to the school shooting and was scratching my head over that too."

Thank you! I was really looking forward to that, too.