Steph Cherry's Reviews > The Brothers of Auschwitz: A heartbreaking and unforgettable historical novel based on an untold true story

The Brothers of Auschwitz by Malka Adler

It took me to a few chapters to get into a groove with this writing style, but once I did, it got ahold of me. This story is told how you would hear it in an interview. The text is choppy as if you were listening to someone recount a deeply heard memory. I have read quite a bit from he WWII era, but this gripped me int he pit of my stomach. It’s truly shocking to see how humans can behave. The babies hot me hardest. They would hit them in the head with the butt of their rifle and throw them in the pile. One recounted tale told about the soldiers playing kickball with a baby until it died.

As with every horrific recounting of these times, I found myself staring at the words on the screen. How did humanity ever get to that point? How were so many people convinced that it was a good thing to treat human life as refuse? How do we keep this from ever happening again? How on earth did these people survive this?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers of Auschwitz.

November 4, 2019 – Started Reading