A.J.'s Reviews > What I Like About You

What I Like About You by Marisa Kanter

bookshelves: 2020, contemporary, judaica, ya-nos, romance, arc

I received a physical ARC of this book as part of the Roaring 20s Debut group ARC tour. My opinion is my own and I am under no obligation to write this review.

Guys, this was So Cute, I just can't say enough about how much I loved this book. Think: the fandom fun + crushing pressure of Senior year academics in RADIO SILENCE meets the exploration of anxiety/mental health with online graphic novels a la ELIZA AND HER MONSTERS.

PLUS IT HAD JEWISH REP, I CAN'T

There's also an element of mistaken/hidden identity that I find so irresistible in the context of teen relationships. Maybe it's because I came of age when internet chatrooms and message boards were just becoming a thing and also carefully guarded my online identity. But this book goes beyond that and puts a modern spin on it with Twitter, book blogging, internet friends, and an enthusiastic fandom. On top of it all, it's a love letter to all things book culture and publishing.

I honestly adored all of the characters here, from goofy but sweet Nash to anxiety-ridden, awkward AF Halle and her supportive, sometimes snarky younger brother Ollie. There was a lot going on in this story beyond a typical YA love triangle (technically duo?), including an exploration of how grief changes people, what it means to be Jewish if you don't really practice, and how to reconcile a famous relative's legacy with your desire to stand out on your own merits. All this, plus the underlying stress of Senior year, SATs, and college applications. The angst was high but not over-the-top, and the ending was pitch-perfect. I would die for a sequel.

Honestly, this is contemporary YA at its best. Preorder the crap out of it, please. You won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Like About You.

November 4, 2019 – Started Reading