M.H. Thaung's Reviews > Rivers of London

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

When Probationary Constable Peter Grant is assigned to guard a crime scene, he meets a ghost who witnessed a murder. From then on, Grant gets progressively more embroiled in the supernatural side of life, including several more bizarre murders.

This book is very readable. It is written in first person, past tense. There are rich descriptions of London and its history, along with occasional reflections on life. Grant doesn't seem to take things too seriously, and there's a fair amount of humour from him and the other characters. As other reviews have mentioned, he seems to regress to a sex-fixated teenager when meeting anyone female, which was an unnecessary annoyance.

I felt that the actual story and characters took a back seat to the descriptions and banter. Supernatural stuff happens, and everyone takes it in stride without seeming worried or concerned. Grant just happens to be in the right place at the right time, and to do the right thing without much effort on his part. I lost count of how many times he arrived at some new knowledge via "Suddenly, I realised that..." Because of this, he felt like an observer rather than an active character—with the book closer to a travelogue than a story.

In summary, an enjoyable enough read, but I don't feel inclined to pick up the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivers of London.

Started Reading