SuperWendy's Reviews > Broken Rules

Broken Rules by Michaela Grey

This book fell into my lap, and while I am past over BDSM and sex clubs (I've been reading erotic romance for a LONG time) I fell right into this story. There's great world-building and a well-drawn cast of characters. I love how the author deconstructed and rebuilt Sterling, a real jerk of a human being. I loved Sanyam's whole vibe, how he saw through Sterling's BS but still stumbled and made mistakes in regards to building their relationship. There's a sweetness that I appreciated.

There's a real emotional heft to this story and the Black Moments are really draining and yes, there's a doozy of one at the end that had my cold, black soul leaking out tears. The sex ran very much on the erotica side of the spectrum, but it fit the story well and it's an erotic romance that doesn't rely on the kink factor to chew up word count. The sex scenes in this book MEAN something and you don't get one every single chapter leading to feeling a yawning redundancy. Again, I've been reading erotic romance for a whole lotta years and I can smell "need to beef up word count filler sex" like a fart in an elevator.

At the time of this posting the author has gained rights back from the publisher so it's not available. Here's hoping self-published editions appear sooner rather than later. I want to wallow in this world and read everything the author writes in it.

ETA 12/6/19: Self-published edition now available through Amazon and KU.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Rules.

November 3, 2019 – Started Reading