Matthew's Reviews > The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

liked it
bookshelves: gr_awards_2020, 2020, audio, library, mystery, suspense

3 to 3.5 stars

I have a few friends that are probably going to wonder why I am not rating this one higher. I did think it was a decent thriller and I can tell why many rate it high. But, it is also easy for me to tell why someone would rate it low. I am just going to hang out pretty close to the middle

The best part of this book was definitely the resolution. The build up to it was okay, but not all that suspenseful to me. There were a few big moments throughout the book, but it was mainly just exposition. Also, I figured out the "mystery" early on. This is not me tooting my own horn like I am an amazing detective. It was more like I stumbled on it by accident. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the way in I thought,"wouldn't it be interesting if . . ." and that is exactly what happened!

The characters were kind of flat to me. I think part of my opinion on them is tainted by the fact that I just finished another thriller, The Whisper Man. In that one, the characters are much more dynamic and the relationships are much more interesting. Despite some twisting and turning, the relationships here are plain vanilla and a bit predictable.

I will stress again, especially because I know that many are rating this one highly, that my criticisms above are just little things that I felt and I know for certain that others won't feel at all. So, don't read my review and go in thinking it is going to rate middle of the road for you, too. You might be one who really gets into it!

Basically, an entertaining thriller. Not too deep. The perfect book for a quick escape. Easy to read and follow the twists and turns. Solid, but not really exceptional.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Patient.

November 3, 2019 – Shelved
January 26, 2020 – Shelved as: suspense
January 26, 2020 –
41.0% "Dear Diary"
January 27, 2020 –
67.0% "Art is in the eye of the beholder (or, maybe just the eye)"
January 27, 2020 –
80.0% "On the roof"
January 28, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Jayme Enjoy!

Elyse  Walters I’m much more with you on this than the majority...
I liked My Lovely Wife -which came out around the same time much better.
But many people seem to have liked this better.

message 3: by Kay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay "wouldn't it be interesting if . . . and that is exactly what happened!" Yes, EXACTLY!

Matthew Elyse wrote: "I’m much more with you on this than the majority...
I liked My Lovely Wife -which came out around the same time much better.
But many people seem to have liked this better."

Well, if you and I are on the same page here, then I am in good company! 😁

Matthew Kay wrote: ""wouldn't it be interesting if . . . and that is exactly what happened!" Yes, EXACTLY!"

Hmmmm - you too? Maybe the author hinted at the "secret" resolution a little more than I realized!

message 6: by TMR (new) - rated it 5 stars

TMR Well it’s okay if you figured the plot twists early on, a lot of people did that as well. But good to see you enjoyed the story.

Matthew TMR wrote: "Well it’s okay if you figured the plot twists early on, a lot of people did that as well. But good to see you enjoyed the story."

Looks like you loved it - that is awesome! 😁

message 8: by Matthew (last edited Jan 29, 2020 06:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matthew Jayme wrote: "Enjoy!"

I did enjoy, but, sadly, not quite as much as you! :)

message 9: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Agreed!

Matthew Carol wrote: "Agreed!"

We are great minds, Carol . . . and we think alike! :) :) :)

Linda Wells Agreed. Great review!

Matthew Linda wrote: "Agreed. Great review!"

Thank you, Linda! :)

Linda Wells Matthew wrote: "Linda wrote: "Agreed. Great review!"

Thank you, Linda! :)"