Maria's Reviews > Day of Honey: A Memoir of Food, Love, and War

Day of Honey by Annia Ciezadlo

bookshelves: memoir, history, war-themes
Recommended to Maria by: I just saw it in Politics & Prose bookstore
Recommended for: All

This memorist knew how to use the journalistic angle to get the most of the story. The story was not about her. She was the catalyst for those affected by war to tell their stories. She had the opportunity many times to emphasize her chaotic teenage years, and how she perceived the world as a result. However, when I finished this book I realized that she didn't add the story of her upbringing to say it was the reason why she empathized with others in chaotic situations, it was more a way to just introduce herself, and then move on to other people.

The scenes are about food, but the book is about how people live through war. It is definitely a book about war first and foremost. The way she was able to write it gave the reader permission to feel empathy for the characters within a scene. She introduced the scene, and then effectively removed herself. Each person she introduced was a complete story-they had depth.

Would I read this again: No, but not because I didn't like it. It's more because there are so many books to read. I may try the recipes.

Would I recommend it: Absolutely

Would I read another book by the author: Yes

Was the writing like a poem turned into prose: no, but it was good story telling
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day of Honey.

March 30, 2012 – Started Reading
April 3, 2012 –
page 190
April 4, 2012 –
page 242
58.17% "I like the author's empathy in her writing."
April 5, 2012 –