Crystal's Reviews > We Were the Mulvaneys

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

did not like it

This is the first novel I have read my Joyce Carol Oates. She has many, and the fact that I didn't like this one won't stop me from reading others. I honestly feel like I wasted days on this book. Just simply wasted precious time. Here you have a loving couple with 3 boys and 1 girl. The girl gets raped. The father is so anguished by it that he has her sent away for years and years. The mother actually agrees to this (as a mother myself, I can't fathom this thought, especially if my child had done nothing wrong), the brothers eventually break apart due to these actions being taken, the father becomes a drunk, the marriage and family crumble...REALLY?? I felt there was too much time devoted on other characters. Who cares about the details of the character who drove Marianne to her grandmother's funeral. It took way too much time for the plot to thicken. Too much time spent on the darn cat. I was ready to put the book down for good middle-way, because by the time I got that far, I looked back thinking, 'so just what IS going on here? Is it going to be about exacting revenge, the family falling apart, what!?!' But being the person that I am, I usually finish, and I did. So, it's like they all barely have contact with each other, or they hate each other, til someone dies, then all of a sudden the mother wants a family reunion, they all come together and it's like they've been best friends for years. Everything is perfect. Mind you that this is at the VERY, VERY end of the book. If I had been Marianne, cast out by my own family like I was a piece of trash because I had been raped, there is no way I would give them the time of day. Her father didn't even want to see her until he was on his deathbed!! Ugh! I think this book infuriated me more than anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were the Mulvaneys.

Finished Reading
March 30, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" This book was truly awful. I couldn't even come close to finishing it.

message 2: by Crystal (last edited Apr 11, 2012 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Crystal It's so good to know that someone agrees with me! I'm really bad for not finishing a book if I've come at least halfway, but this one was truly a struggle.

Gigi This review contains spoilers that would have been nice to be notified of. Just ruined my anticipation. Thanks.

Jakki Newton i found it easy to read, enthralling, beautiful

Crystal Wow, I don't know where I have been, I haven't seen the last two notifications until now. You're welcome Georgianna. Tell ya what, I do most of this from my phone so if you could tell me how to hide the spoilers like some do, other than just me stating it and then it still being seen, then I'm all ears. And then I can thank you my dear.