El's Reviews > We

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

Aug 16, 2008

bookshelves: 20th-centurylit-early, 1001-books-list, society-went-boom, russia
Recommended to El by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (194/1001)

Now this book which I snagged off of my boyfriend's brother's bookshelf before I left town made me especially warm and fuzzy inside. I thought it was a lost cause, that I would never actually be able to read this book all of the way through as the copy I checked out from the library last year was destroyed so many pages in. Feeling it was a bad omen, a harbinger of bad things, I put the idea of reading We on a back burner. When I saw it on the shelf and seemingly complete and unharmed I decided to take it along with me - because what says Wisconsin like an early 20th century science fiction (specifically post-apocalyptic) Russian novel? I say.

1984 and Brave New World (and I wonder even Atwood's Oryx and Crake) were not surprisingly influenced strongly by Zamyatin's book. A lot of the same ideas are found in all three, with Zamyatin being first and foremost a better piece of writing all the way around. The soul is considered a disease, a thing of the past, and to have heart is to have a soul and then where does that leave you? Frightening and interesting and well worth the borrow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We.

Started Reading