Cassie's Reviews > Hook

Hook by Gina L. Maxwell

I fell in love with London and Neverland North Carolina from the first paragraph of Pan. I have also been anticipating Hook from about 30% into Pan. Any seasoned author can incorporate wonder into a book for a side character, but Maxwell laced bits of Hook so perfectly that he was in my head throughout the rest of Peter’s book and the subsequent months after as I waited for this story to be completed.

Lots of authors write the tortured hero. None are quite like Captain James Hook though. He has taken bullet after bullet for the Lost Boys and his pirate crew over the years, but it cost him his self-image. His self-deprecation is both heart-breaking and somehow charming to John. Captain Hook is the “dark.” He is what everyone needs despite being feared. John Darling is the “light.” He heals and inspires everything he touches. His patience and sense of right and wrong are imperative throughout as he helps untangle Croc’s corrupt business and as Hook weeds through his own issues. Never has a couple felt so yin and yang in their utter perfection for each other.

This book was heavy but satisfying. I loved that I could feel the hurt, desperation, and anger because it made the love, justice, and happiness shine through all the more in those precious moments. This book is for anyone who knows love really can conquer all if we are patient enough to draw other’s dark out and brave enough to let other’s light in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hook.

Started Reading