Amy's Reviews > By Any Other Name

By Any Other Name by Kayti McGee

bookshelves: to-read

I went into this book thinking I didn't enjoy the paranormal genre and left it realizing that it's only vampires and shapeshifters I'm tired of reading about. Witches? I am COOL with witches.

One of my favorite things about this book was how unexpected Kayti McGee's prose is. That sounds insulting to her, and I certainly don't mean it that way. I'm accustomed to seeing romantic comedies from her, but in Rose, McGee shows depth and breadth that are utterly delightful. As much as I enjoyed Thorne's sections, I found myself looking forward more to Rose's. Her perspective on what happens to her captivated me, perhaps because I think I'd react the same way. I also related to her on some personal levels (let's just say that Kayti McGee perfectly captures the emotional ambivalence of an adoptee).

Thorne, on the other hand, is what you'd expect from M. Pierce. He's broody, sneering (he smirks a LOT), imperious, and occasionally taciturn. I'm an M. Pierce fan, too, and after a few years of no M. Pierce books, I greedily inhaled this, as if Pierce's absence left me aching for air.

The story keeps you turning the pages, both because you want to know what happens next and, perhaps more importantly, because you need to make sure Rose and Thorne will defy the odds stacked very much against them. Their romance is deliciously ardent, fervent, almost feral. I loved seeing them fall for each other, and I swooned over their sexy times.

So. Why four stars and not five? It's the cliffhanger, dear readers.

I love a good cliffhanger. I get that some of you don't, but I love them. I love that sense of being pushed right to the edge, terrified that I will fall to my doom if I don't find out what happens next. This one, however, doesn't feel like a cliffhanger at all, even though I think it's intended to be one. A second book comes in the spring, and I think it's supposed to be a Part II and not an interconnected stand-alone. The ending of this one feels like a gentle roll down a hill rather than a perilous, heart-stopping scream.

Therefore, in this edition of If I Beta Read This Book, I would implore its authors to end the story without the epilogue. That's the thing! They had the PERFECT ending. PERFECT. They had the ending that makes you scream, that makes you feel as if you'll never last until the next book releases. But then they added an epilogue that feels entirely unnecessary.

Let me know what you think. You absolutely need to read this book. Am I wrong? Do I need to reconsider the ending? Tell me.

BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Any Other Name.

November 1, 2019 – Shelved
November 1, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
November 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Love this review!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Jennifer wrote: "Love this review!"

You are very kind. Thank you!

Jean Love the review. Reconsider the ending. For me, it was the perfect witchy grace note and true to the elemental magic at the heart of the story.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Jean wrote: "Love the review. Reconsider the ending. For me, it was the perfect witchy grace note and true to the elemental magic at the heart of the story."

I can see that. There is a nice symmetry to the paranormal element. Structurally, though, I feel like it didn't need the epilogue. I am open to reconsidering, however, so I shall go re-read and see if my mind has changed.