Kristen's Reviews > Get a Life, Chloe Brown

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

bookshelves: read-2019

So I ordered this for my Book of the Month selection after hearing such good things about it. And I’m so glad that I did. It was fucking delightful, and officially my favorite contemporary adult romance of all time.

“She seemed fine, but then, she seemed fine all the time…and yet she was in pain all the time too. When it came to looking after Chloe, that pretty face of hers couldn’t be trusted.”

Get A Life, Chloe Brown follows our chronically ill heroine Chloe who, after an almost-car accident, decides that she really needs to get a life. So, she moves out of her family’s house and does what comes natural to her. She makes a list:

1. Enjoy a drunken night out
2. Ride a motorcycle
3. Go camping
4. Have meaningless but thoroughly enjoyable sex
5. Travel the world with nothing but hand luggage
6. And…do something bad

But, while the list making is easy, the actual doing is less so. Luckily that’s where Chloe’s attractive building super/neighbor Redford “Red” Morgan comes in. Though the two have a rather contentious relationship filled with sexually charged banter, they call a truce after a daring cat rescue. Chloe then enlists Red’s help with ticking items of her list in exchange for her website building skills. And, along the way, the pair learns more about each other. Like why Red is so resentful of Chloe’s family’s wealth and why he hides his art away. And why Chloe has trouble letting people in and letting them help her.

“It’s very awkward, dating while disabled. People can be quite awful. And you know I don’t have much energy to spare for social nonsense.”

There is so much to love about this book. Not only is the chronic illness and the black representation #ownvoices, but Chloe is a plus size woman who isn’t hung up about her weight. And Red is into it, but not in a gross fetishistic way. Just in a Chloe is a beautiful woman who is also fat kinda way. And, I really liked that her waist was described as soft – those words matter. And Talia handled it brilliantly.

The discussions about marginalizations and living with chronic pain/disability was so well done. The realities of Chloe’s day to day live wasn’t sugarcoated, but rather was presented as just another facet of who she is. And, I loved seeing her relationships with her grandma and sisters (and I can’t wait to read her sisters’ stories in future installments of the series.)

“The thing is, Red.. some of us have so many marginalizations, we might drown if we let all the little hurts flood in. So there are those, like me, who filter. I think you’ve noticed I filter a lot.”

And can we talk about Red for minute? He is a tattooed, motorcycling riding artist. And he goes to therapy to work through his issues. *swoon* It was so nice to see a male protagonist who is masculine, without being an broody alpha who has to constantly prove his manliness – usually by being a controlling dick. Reading about him being honest and vulnerable with Chloe? *chef’s kiss* Red is a cinnamon roll, and I love him for it.

“You know, for such a funny-sounding word, fibromyalgia is—”
“A motherfucker.”
“Chloe! Did you just swear? You never swear.” He paused. “That was fun. Do it again.”
“No,” she said primly.

This book is smart, funny, and sexy. But, it’s also important. It’s a book that gives characters who are recovering from abusive relationships, going to therapy, chronically ill, disabled, and marginalized a happily ever after. And I’m here for it.

So if you are looking for a steamy, enemies to lovers RomCom you cannot got wrong with this one. The snarky banter between Chloe and Red is so charming and watching them work through their issues and learn about each other is so refreshing. And, if that’s not enough there’s also an adorable cat named Smudge.

Trigger Warnings: abusive relationship (in the past), dealing with trauma, depictions of chronic pain, abandonment because of disability, explicit sex scenes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Get a Life, Chloe Brown.

October 31, 2019 – Shelved