Holly's Reviews > The Lure of Shapinsay

The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

Mar 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, kindle, from-author, paranormal-romance
Recommended to Holly by: Krista Holle
Read from March 30 to April 05, 2012

I was asked by the author to read and review this, so bear with me here.

When I was first asked to read this, I was intrigued by the mythology I knew was coming and the storyline itself. It sounded so cool and I had never heard of selkies before. I was more than willing to give them a go.

Well, it didn't quite live up to what I expected. Kait starts out as a very strong character, but the moment she's struck by The Lure, she, for lack of a better word, turns into a pansy. That was discouraging. Like, am I supposed to get from this that once women are in "love", they can't function without their man? It was a very strange message.

Also, I felt like in the middle the plot just dropped out. It was fine in the beginning, but then she got him. It was like a normal romance novel wrapped up in the first 40%. What were we to do with the rest of the book? It tried to have a plot--it really did--but it just couldn't quite pull it off. There was no real climax at the end either.

I think one of my problems with the story was that I didn't quite trust Kait as a narrator and I'll tell you why. Even though she knew she had fallen victim to The Lure, she still believed she was truly in love with Eamon. Honey, if you've fallen victim to an enchantment, you can't be sure of anything after that, especially the emotions the enchantment messes with. So since I didn't quite believe she could 100% say for sure that she loved Eamon of her own volition, I couldn't trust her opinions to be...sane. That may make more sense after you read it.

Weirdly, I felt like some of the colloquial phrasing was off-putting. Some of it, I plan and simply didn't understand. "Dinnae fash" was a common phrase in the book and I just could not figure out for the life of me what "fash" was. Also, I was mildly offended by Eamon's constant references to "humping" instead of actually just saying "sex". For some reason, I'd just prefer it if he said it for what it was.

There were some things it had going for it. Characters like Tipper kept me reading. Poor old crazy Tipper. I also liked the perspective change between Eamon and Kait. It let me get inside both of their heads and try to understand where each one was coming from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lure of Shapinsay.

Ashley Lavering I have to agree about Kait. it was hard to like her after she went a little pansy by the Lure, but I was like ok. I'll keep waiting until the end when she gets her backbone back:-) I really loved the legend. Selkie are awesome.