Terry's Reviews > The Light After the War

The Light After the War by Anita Abriel

F 50x66

liked it

I've read several historical fiction novels this year that are set during WWII. This novel is a little different in that it is set just after the war and the main characters are two Jewish women in their twenties who were lucky enough to have escaped the hands of the Nazis. These two friends, Vera and Edith, immigrate to Italy where Vera hopes to find work at the American embassy. Edith is a bit more of a dreamer and falls for practically any man who looks her way. Together, Edith and Vera make new friends and start to live the carefree lives of 20 year olds. And when Vera and the American captain Anton Wight fall in love and become engaged, Vera's life seems set until Anton gets cold feet and disappears. One fantastical thing after another seems to happen to Vera and Edith throughout the novel from a wealthy patron paying for their passage to America to an impulsive move to Caracas. While I found all their lucky breaks a little unbelievable, it was still an entertaining story with a happy ending. I received an ARC edition of this book from Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light After the War.

October 29, 2019 – Started Reading