Amelia's Reviews > The Silent House

The Silent House by Nell Pattison

it was ok

Right off the bat, I was looking forward to reading this because it centered around Deaf characters. I thought it was an incredibly interesting concept and I'm always excited to see more Deaf representation in books. But I was really disappointed with the main character in this book as well as the "climactic" ending.

I would like to start off this by saying that if you are at all triggered by violence against children, or death of children then DO NOT pick this book up.

I think that this had the potential to be an incredibly interesting book. To be told from the perspective of the interpreter was something that I haven't seen before and I was excited to see Deaf characters in a novel. I will say that I am not as familiar with interpreting and Deaf culture in Britain so I can't speak on that but reading from an American perspective of someone who has spent a lot of time learning sign language and interacting in the Deaf community I was appalled at the lack of professionalism from the interpreter in this story. And maybe it is completely different to work as an interpreter but even in terms of general police work I felt like everyone in their work roles acted incredibly unprofessionally.

In terms of the characters themselves it took me almost the entirety of the book to figure out which characters were which. The names constantly confused me and who was who and how everyone was related. I had my suspicions as to who the culprit was really early on and once we got to the climactic scene in which things really started to unfold I just felt like I was reading every other thriller. The plot was really cookie cutter and lackluster especially at times when things felt just outrageous for what the actual premise to the story was. Plus the random side romance plot felt forced and completely unrelated to the rest of the story. Overall it was just a meh story. If I hadn't been so frustrated with the main character and her completely uncalled for behavior and utter lack of professionalism as an interpreter within a criminal investigation I would probably have rated this three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent House.

October 29, 2019 – Started Reading