Bobbieshiann's Reviews > The Revisioners

The Revisioners by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton

This story is like a string you come across that is so long you keep following it until you find out what’s at the end. A story where Black women narrate it and give you feelings of strength and courage. Black women raising their sons in the age were rap music is questionable and a time where looking a white man in the eyes is considered a “crime”.

You are nurtured throughout this story as the past and the present collide in a powerful way in one families lineage. There is limited sympathy towards white women as they share their pain, but it is unmatched to every Black woman in this story. It has no real power in this story but does show how they seek comfort from Black women. “I could prepare my bath with white women’s tears”.

I’ll admit I became naive towards the ending of the book. I thought this would be a time where maybe our voice would not be shattered by the mistakes of the white man BUT!!! I was wrong. The end hurt me in a way that I was oddly not prepared for.

There is so much to take away from this story and highly recommend you read it! On that note, I will leave you with this quote from the book, “And my momma said you could tell a lot about a man by his shoes, but if she’d come visit me, I’d tell her that’s not true. My mama makes a lot of bad decisions in her life, and in a lot of ways I had to raise her, but this time I would tell her, that’s not true. So in case there’s a man in her life she needs to judge, she’ll know to find another way”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revisioners.

October 29, 2019 – Started Reading