Sarah's Reviews > The Revisioners

The Revisioners by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review; opinions are my own.

This book, simply put, is an example of extremely good storytelling. It reads like a suspense novel, a family epic, and historical fiction at once, and is one of the most well-paced novels I've ever read.

The Revisioners’ protagonists are mainly women, but a vital pillar of this story is that of women raising sons, specifically Black women raising Black boys in America, which is a very dangerous place. The parallels drawn between Josephine’s childhood and King’s childhood, for example, are really well done because they point out how the targeting of Black boys and men has changed only enough to remain the same. Without giving too much away, some very horrific things do happen to some of these sons. But their characters are fully human, fully nuanced and complex, and it’s crucial that America sees Black boys and men this way.

The women, though - they truly carry the story. The multigenerational aspect of the story is carried in every character, in their bodies and minds. The importance of ancestral love and resilience is at the center of these womens' lives. It works on so many levels, including the ways in which Black women must survive - a colonialist, imperialist, white supremacist society, yes, but really to survive white women, whose friendship is tenuous at best - a truth that remains as present today as it has ever been.

It's been a long while since I've read a non-queer book that I loved this much. The characters are fully realized, the external plot and interior lives not only synced but engrossing. At just under 300 pages, it felt like a fast read, but one that won't be leaving me anytime soon. Highly recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revisioners.

October 25, 2019 – Started Reading