Tiny Pants's Reviews > The Best American Short Stories 2007

Aug 15, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, series, short-stories
Read in October, 2008

I'm a Best American Short Stories fanatic, and had high hopes for a Stephen King edited-edition -- he read more widely than most guest editors, might bring in more unique voices, etc, etc. And yes -- there were more authors I hadn't heard of than normal, and way less of the New Yorker and way more of other venues for short fiction. In spite of this, however, the collection was more uniform than any in recent memory, and at least for this reader, that meant for the most part uniformly unappealing. Viscerally-described (and often terminal) illness, rumination on mortality, and suicide were almost excessively prominent themes, which is probably one of the reasons it took me literally months to complete this volume -- it's such a downer (and so repetitive) that it's hard to make it through more than one story at a time. On the whole, the two pieces I liked most were probably those that were more genre fiction than literary fiction. Randy DeVita's "Riding the Doghouse" is genuinely chilling without overplaying its hand, and Roy Kesey's "Wait" and Bruce McCallister's "The Boy in Zaquitos" (the only piece specifically published in a science fiction magazine) are both several notches above most of the other stories selected for inclusion here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Short Stories 2007.