Nan's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I read this the same day it came out, having impatiently waited the requisite year after CATCHING FIRE. Immediately, I was bummed. This was depressing! Katniss is messed up! And events moved so fast it was hard to keep everything straight. If Book One and Two were 5 stars, this concluding book in the trilogy was a 3.5. Not a strong finish, I felt.

BUT--I read it again a few months later and had to revise my opinion. This time I read more slowly, paying attention to each sentence. All these books are tightly written, and maybe Collins overdid the succinctness in this one, but by reading closely I saw I'd missed some things first time around--including the inescapable, relentless reasoning behind Katniss' horrific action at the end. (A big thing to misunderstand...reader error!) Now I'll raise my rating to 4.5 stars. Collins did a good job fulfilling the initial promise of this series--that it not only entertain, but examine in a responsible way one person's credible reaction to the inhumanity of the Games. Katniss has had all the experience anyone could demand of an informed participant. When she violates certain moral givens in order to prevent worse injustice, and is prepared to pay the ultimate price for doing so, no one can argue she acted irresponsibly. We can only wonder if, in those circumstances, we'd have had that same kind of courage. (I do love moral dilemmas, and this one's a doozy.)

An ultimately satisfying, sobering, conclusion to an important work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Started Reading
January 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
March 29, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Christy English This is fascinating, Nan, and very generous of you. I agree that I did not judge Katniss for her choices. I just felt the novel as a whole was overwhelming in its darkness. I'll give it a re-read in a few months, or at least try to, and see if my opinion changes.

message 2: by Nan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nan Christy wrote: "This is fascinating, Nan, and very generous of you. I agree that I did not judge Katniss for her choices. I just felt the novel as a whole was overwhelming in its darkness. I'll give it a re-read i..."
I'm glad. I hardly ever run into people who like to get into the weeds on this stuff, but I can spend hours on it. (Just ask my husband.)

Christy English I love exploring these ideas too. The author of these novels really is brilliant. I learned a lot as a storyteller from all 3 of the books.