Nan's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

bookshelves: all-time-favorites

Not often enough, a writer comes across books she wishes she'd written. Her only recourse is to study such a book so as to steal, as invisibly as possible, that writer's techniques. THE HUNGER GAMES is such a book for me. I read it in three hours, took time to pee, then went back and read it again. A few days later, again. How did Collins force me to turn the page from chapter to chapter? I needed to know, because I was writing my own mystery and needed any tips on how to make it compelling. I discovered--as most readers of this series do, consciously or not--that at the end of every chapter we either learn a new piece of information, see another key character in danger, watch the stakes get even higher (which I kept thinking was impossible, but wasn't, not for Collins), or see Katniss do something that demands we read on to see the reaction. Etc.

I learned that my own story UNACCOUNTED FOR had plenty of events in it, but the pacing could be improved. Also, my hero needed to take a tip from Katniss and keep thinking about his immediate goals, to remind the reader why things are important. I re-ordered it a la Hunger Games--it ratcheted up the excitement enormously. I'm not claiming my book's as riveting as Collins', but I owe her a big debt. Not only did she give me three books of tremendous entertainment value, but she stuffed them with serious issues that demand thought of serious readers--the kind of readers you hope will savor your own work. (Or just sit next to you at dinner.) A must-read series for any mystery writer, or any reader in search of a compelling tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Quotes Nan Liked

“Destroying things is much easier than making them.”
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games