Tara's Reviews > Quintana of Charyn

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta

Mar 29, 2012

bookshelves: love-love-love-xxoo, made-me-cry, fantasy, awesome, books-i-own, e-books-i-own, audiobooks-i-own
Read in August, 2013

When I first read this I called it one of the best books of the year...... This series is actually one of my most favourite series of all time.

Audiobook time!
..…………………

It was a bittersweet moment when I reached the end of Quintana of Charyn. Sweet because of the time that I been able to share with some of my favourite characters - Finn, Froi (Isaboe, Lucien, Phaedra, Quintana......well I could describe nearly every character if I went on!). The conclusion to this story was everything I could of hoped for. And at the end, I felt it was complete. But at the same time, I felt a deep sadness at reaching the end of the story for these characters.
Melina Marchetta is without a doubt, one of my most favourite authors. I love her writing style, her characters, basically everything about her books - I love. I can read her books over and over again and it is just like spending time with someone that you love. Which is why I do have a feeling of sadness when i finish one of her books (and this is when i go and get them all off my shelf and run my hands over them lovingly).
But back to Quintana of Charyn.... I really enjoyed hearing from the different characters, I felt that this made the story move along seamlessly. I most enjoyed the parts of the story from Froi's POV and I would almost say that I had a sense of pride in watching Froi handle different situations...he has come a long way! I always thought that Finnikin was my favourite character in this series but I think that Froi has now taken that spot. For me, this story was really about the characters. The characters, their relationships and their story's. In equal parts of happiness, sadness, joy and triumph, reading this book was like being taken away into another world which gave me All. The. Feelings. There were a few little twists in the story, a few moments of 'do I really trust this person', a few sobs and a few deep breaths and a lot of smiles.
The only reason I wasn't flipping through the pages almost tearing them out with my speed, was that I was trying to read slowly, to take it all in and savour it, this last book in the series.
But now I have reached the end. The end of a great story.

Without a doubt, one of the best books of the year. Review to come, when I get my thoughts in order

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quintana of Charyn.

08/10/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/29/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Great review Tara! You can really tell how much you love these stories :-)

Tara Thanks Sam. You know, it was Melina Marchetta that got me out my twilight obsession... :-)

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Oh well thank god she did :-P I've only ever read 'looking for alibrandi' because I had to for school...

Tara Well it sucks when you have to read books for school, school ruined so many books for me!

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam I've just re-read your review since I've finished, and I feel the same way as you! Sigh