CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Madame Zero

Madame Zero by Sarah Hall

I loved this collection of short stories. It's my first book by this author but it certainly won't be my last. I loved her writing. Hall's prose feels elegant and effortless in a way that belies the talent and skill behind the words.

Reading the stories made me feel contemplative and sophisticated and stylish. Themes include a woman who turns into a fox, a woman with a terror of heights who crosses a high bridge on a hike, a post-apocalyptic world with constant very high winds, and other diverse topics, some speculative, some not.

But it wasn't the content of the stories, rather it was the authenticity of the feeling that captured my attention and imagination. They are almost scary in their perceptiveness and truth. I think I'll be haunted by them for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madame Zero.

October 27, 2019 – Shelved
October 27, 2019 – Shelved as: science-fiction
October 27, 2019 – Shelved as: short-stories
October 18, 2020 – Started Reading
page 3
1.56% ""The one who loves less is always loved more.""
page 22
11.46% ""To be comfortable inside one's sadness is not valueless. This too will pass. All things tend towards transience, mutability. It is in such mindful moments, when everything is both held and released, that revelation comes.""
page 64
33.33% ""Time felt so slow she could write a song in her head between everyone's sentences, then it sped up and almost a year passed while she was trying to ask where the toilet was to be sick." Haha that's the most accurate description of being high on pot I've ever seen."
October 19, 2020 – Shelved as: magic-realism
page 99
51.56% "It is really a treat to encounter prose that is so effortlessly readable."
page 123
64.06% "I like how this book makes me feel, very contemplative and like a glass of wine belongs in my hand"
page 132
68.75% ""It gave her the same feeling as jumping down off somewhere high, or looking up at the sky for too long.""
October 20, 2020 – Finished Reading