Karen's Reviews > Worry-Free Living: Let Go of Stress and Live in Peace and Happiness

Worry-Free Living by Ryuho Okawa

190448

liked it

I have mixed feelings about this book. While I really enjoyed the topics of each of the essays and really loved the lessons and thought-provoking perspective, the writing itself felt really choppy and off to me. I am not sure if this is a translation and was just poorly translated or if the author's style is choppy like this. But either way it made it harder for me to connect with the text.

Here's an example:

"With that said, if you want to avoid divorce, my advice for you is to offer your partner praise."

If this said something like, "regular and genuine praise fuels a marriage and helps foster love," etc. I'd totally be feeling positively encouraged to do so. And yet this phrasing makes me anxious and worried that I better do what he says or I might not be able to avoid divorce. For a book about worry-free living, it's making me worry!

I understand it's not intended this way (or I hope not!) but because there are many examples like this, it's hard for me to connect with the content as much as I'd like to.

With gratitude to netgalley and IRH press for an early copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worry-Free Living.

October 27, 2019 – Started Reading