Unnichan's Reviews > STONE: Her Ruthless Enforcer: 50 Loving States, North Carolina

STONE by Theodora Taylor

This is my first Theodora Taylor. It was recommended by an author I read and respect and I’m glad I took a chance. However, if you are someone who needs the backstory to everything or likes the details, it may be a better idea to read Luca and Amber (a duet series) first. The main characters of this book are secondary characters in their story. One that is heavily referenced in Stone. There is a point that even I felt a little out of the loop but I still have zero interest in the other books. You get plenty of details (almost too many) to understand the major plot points that effect Stone and Naima.
What I appreciate most about this book is the major growth of both characters. Stone and Naima are flawed and broken and while I don’t believe they fix one another, they do heal together. Through their relationship they recognize their greatest strengths and challenge their greatest weaknesses. I believe this series is meant to be about ruthless men and a type of romance that isn’t the most ideal and at times troubled. These characters begin that way, very concerning and disconcerting but proximity and perseverance opens the door, not only for love and family but true acceptance and eventual understanding and growth. This story didn’t feel superficial and it definitely wasn’t conventional or typical in pacing. There’s not tons of romantic overtures but a steady progression to something valuable and special, that to me reveals the individuality of bonds and relationships.

Can’t say I loved everything about this book, our heroine is the narrator and very limited. For she is frustrating where her interpersonal relationships and impressions are concerned and certain issues concerning her fears and hang ups aren’t truly addressed. While our hero is confusing and cold, imposing and even impossible but like most heroes, goes through the most transformative development, which mostly makes up the earlier problems.
Definitely liked this one in a way that sticks to you because there’s a type of hope and realness that lingers throughout it. You walk away believing these characters are moving, loving and living in healthy ways, step by step deliberately, together.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read STONE.

October 27, 2019 – Started Reading