Ryan's Reviews > Hostile Intent

Mar 28, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction
Read from March 28 to April 04, 2012

This was a Barnes and Noble "Free Friday" selection. I don't know that I'd pick it up otherwise, and I don't know that I'll seek out another book by this author. It was... OK.

The plot is something straight out of an episode of 24. An act of terrorism on American soil leads to a super-duper-secret operative getting involved at the bequest of the president to get to the bottom of the matter. A broader conspiracy is unearthed, including an eccentric billionaire mastermind, yada yada yada, to be continued. Not a bad plot, just one that's been done all too often before, and usually better.

The author's writing style is... developing. Walsh seems to want to show-off his techno-speak in the first half of the novel, which is fine and all, but he seems to assume that the reader either (a) gets what he's talking about, or (b) is impressed by what he's talking about. The technology almost becomes an extra character, but one that gets in the way of the main characters, and the plot, and the pacing. The techno-speak cuts down in the second half of the book, which is good because it helps the pacing of the plot as it picks up speed to its formulaic, but satisfying, conclusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hostile Intent.

03/28/2012
03/29/2012
16.0% "So far, this is a lot like many of the other nook Free Friday selections I've read; not the GREATEST thing in the world, but entertaining enough as a diversion... Generic story thus far; terrorists take over a school, make demands, and the president puts some super-soldier into action to resolve the situation."
03/30/2012
26.0% "Still not great, but an easy enough read... a LOT of emphasis put on the technology being employed, which is fine, but its presented in a way that totally stalls the flow."
show 4 hidden updates…