Astrid's Reviews > Sea Hearts

Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan

bookshelves: australian-women-writers, reviewed

Margo Lanagan is the only author I've missed class for. I couldn't stop reading this book. And when I did, I had to write. I haven't written in my journal with any abandon in a long time, but Lanagan's prose is so raw and creative that I had to create something when I finished Sea Hearts (As it's called in Australia).
I realise that Lanagan has crafted this novel. All novels are edited and rewritten. But the language is so unique and feels raw. There's no other way to describe the waves of the language.
Unique, that is what you call Lanagan's voice and style. No one writes like her. And I wouldn't want anyone else to write like her. It's so special and beautiful and dark and light at the same time. As soon as you read a page, you know it's hers and you want to keep reading.

As this is supposed to be a proper review, I feel I should say something of the plot and structure. It's about five people, each experiencing a different time and aspect of Rollrock Island, when the men were married to enchanting seal-women, conjured up by the seal-witch Misskaella. The different points of view lend complexity to what is essentially an old and simple fairy tale.

The ending is perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Hearts.

March 28, 2012 – Started Reading