RaeLynn Fry's Reviews > Rebel Fire

bookshelves: 2012

Rating: PG
Coffee Beans: 3.5/5
Spoilers: None
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for this honest review

As true to the series, it starts with a death being witnessed. All the old characters are back, Sherlock, Matty, Virginia, Crowe, the evil head house keeper Mrs. Engaltine, and even his brother makes an appearance. And, as also is true to the series (and to the character), Sherlock almost dies quite a few times. Lane is remarkable at setting the stage for action and drama, adding details and tension. But when those times weren't around, I felt the story was dragging along far too slowly. The dialogue was far too "maid and butler" to me (As you know, Mr. Smith is actually a jewel thief…) and I felt like my hand was being held through everything possible, like I wasn't capable of figuring anything out for myself. I'm not gonna lie, I skimmed those parts.

Reading it was like a rollercoaster, and I'm glad there were several free-falls of excitement in the fight scenes to pull me through the lulls. As always, pick it up and read it for yourself. You may feel differently than I did.
Happy reading, my friends!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Fire.

March 28, 2012 – Shelved
April 2, 2012 – Started Reading
April 4, 2012 –
page 20
April 6, 2012 –
page 90
April 8, 2012 –
page 109
30.97% "I forgot how slow this series is. Probably because I'm not a huge Sherlock fan to begin with. Unless they're movies :)"
April 17, 2012 – Finished Reading