Mere's Reviews > Wicked As You Wish

Wicked As You Wish by Rin Chupeco

bookshelves: february-books, reviewed, 2020-five-star-reads, to-buy

Thank you to Fairyloot, the author & publisher for providing an arc!

Deliriously wonderful, and delightfully innovative. Fairytales galore and amazing writing combine to make an adventure. Chupeco is gifted at creating a deft story interwoven with an intriguing plot and carefully crafted characters. The concept of this book seems easy to grasp, and at first, it is. But the more you move into this story, the weirder it gets and the harder it is to follow. And yet, the book worked for me. You wouldn’t think a mish-mash of what seems to be unrelated ideas would work, or make a book. Somehow, Chupeco has managed it. I am highly impressed by that.

The writing
I’ve always adored Chupeco’s writing. I think she is enormously talented as an author (even if all her books aren’t to my taste) and I am always excited to try something new from her. In this case, I think there were some really amusing pop culture moments, especially in regards to the chapter titles which I always laughed at. There was some major creativity in this book.

The pacing
The pacing of this book mostly worked for me. There were a few times that I was a little more “eh” on the pacing. Overall, I felt that the book kept moving forward and driving to a conclusion upon getting to the middle part of the book. The last fifty or so pages felt entirely odd, however.

The plot
The plot was good! I think it was cohesive overall, and that Chupeco knew what she was doing. The plot worked well with the characters, although, like the pacing, the plot at the end felt very odd to me. It is definitely setting up for another book, but it just felt a tad bit awkward to me. I loved the fairytale aspect of this book. I haven’t loved a lot of retellings, but this plot felt like a fresh twist on them. It was different enough for me to enjoy it.

The characters
There was so much diversity in this book. All the characters were different races, identities and sexualities. So much to love in this book in regards to that. And while some of them play a little part, overall, they’re just there. They’re part of the characters, and their identities, but it doesn’t make up the plot. I really liked that about this book. Tala and Alex and Loki and Cole were all awesome characters, and I can’t wait to see more of this group!

The world building
Compared to The Bone Witch, I feel as if there was less world building in this one. In some cases I almost felt there was too much or too little. I get what she was going for, and this is what almost made me give it four stars, not five. Yet, the info dump versus no info at all, ended up almost balancing each other out. The beginning felt like so much information thrown at you, and then all of a sudden it felt a bit bereft of information. I love this world and I absolutely cannot wait to see more of it!

Overall
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. There was so much to love. So much action and adventure and fun. Great characters (many hilarious moments) and a fun plot. There was some thinking, but mostly it was an enjoyable ride that made me gasp out loud, laugh, cry and just have fun.
This was a fun book that was filled to the brim with amazingness!

Blog | Bookstagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked As You Wish.

October 24, 2019 – Shelved
October 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 31, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read-unpublished
January 6, 2020 – Shelved as: arcs
February 4, 2020 – Started Reading
February 4, 2020 – Shelved as: february-books
February 4, 2020 –
page 90
20.83% "I'm 90 pages in and this is THE BEST THING. I am living for this book! I'm already planning on giving it 5 stars!!"
February 4, 2020 –
page 400
92.59% "I cannot believe that I'm almost done with this book!! It was so good!"
February 5, 2020 – Shelved as: reviewed