Movies, Shows,'s Reviews > The Night Weaver

The Night Weaver by Monique Snyman

Actually 4 1/2 stars

Note: This review contains SPOILERS

The Night Weaver , nominated for a Bram Stoker Award and rightfully so, Monique Snyman writes an action, mystery, and horror that got me intrigued within the first three chapters. The Night Weaver revolves around Rachel Cleary, a seventeen-year-old girl with a family history intertwined with the supernatural. She is witty, stubborn, caring, and adventurous. Despite these qualities, she has lived quite a normal, peaceful life where she strives to be the best in her class and lives with a loving mother. As the reader continues into the story, parts of Rachel’s past is revealed that will cause the reader to empathize with her, seeing as her father died a few years prior, she has a neighbor who she looks to as a grandmother, and an old childhood friend that she reconnects with during the events of the book. The fantastical yet ominous creatures of the Fae realm, that Rachel delves into, bring real wonder to the reader.

The Night Weaver unfolded at a magnificent pace, that left me curious to read more. I first started reading The Night Weaver simply for the mystery of children going missing and an epic adventure to go retrieve them. This book did not disappoint, and I would encourage others to read it too. Monique Snyman wrote beautiful descriptions throughout the of the book. At one point in the book, Rachel was flying and falling through the air. As Snyman described, the wind kept her teary eyes from blinking and her struggle not to fall from her captor made Rachel’s fear and adrenaline apparent from Rachel’s perspective. The Night Weaver was a horrid, blue faced woman with nails for teeth and a sentient cloak. Rachel’s childhood friend, Greg, was written as a worthy academic adversary and ally and Dougal, Rachel’s new neighbor, was a gruff, courageous, and opinionated young man. Rachel’s relationships with these characters are built upon throughout The Night Weaver, which brings the story to life. For example, Rachel spends time with her elderly neighbor, Mrs. Crenshaw, and befriends her grandson, Dougal.

One thing is for sure, that her life in Shadow Grove will certainly not be the same. The book ends on a note wherein Rachel is left to hope for another interaction with the Fae.

Reviewer: Mariah
Disclaimer: We received a free copy for an honest review. All is my own opinion
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Weaver.

October 7, 2019 – Started Reading