Elle!'s Reviews > Dark Eyes

Dark Eyes by William Richter

it was ok
bookshelves: thrillers, boring, ya

I couldn't get into this book though I really really really wanted to. I couldn't get it. I couldn't read it. I couldn't sympathize it. Maybe it was because I didn't feel the characters. Maybe it was because they were flat as the my mother's back side (I love you mother) - or the novels plot as dry as the Mohave Desert (pardon my cliche.It felt like I was reading a screen play to be honest. :/ This book is just eh...meh, "all-ight". So, I read this novel and I'm thinking, "this book was basically have been better as a movie."

Why?

Because it lacked emotion. The main character was to hard-baked, and to touch-ass, ultra emotionless female for me. Just because she lives on the street doesn't mean she has the feelings of a cucumber. Wally(Valentina) seemed more male than female , so it was hard to connect with her. The only emotion that came and actually made me feel something is her sex scene and her run in with her ex. I wanted to understand but it was actually like a barricade pushing me back. She wasn't loveable and hell -I've read some evil characters that I loved to death. She was just a boring cliche Ice Queen. Her cold manipulative reaction to her mother was poorly written (if you want a good book about a mean female giving her mother hell read Mildred Pierce , that's how you write motives).

This "trendy" book is good for 14, 15, 16 year olds.I'll even tell a 17 year old who wants a light read to take a whack at it. The book was sprinkled with cursing to look more edgy than a cliff side. Gosh books should not make you want to go watch television! But this book did. It also made me want to lie on a train track and slam my head on the floor.

Examples of the random cursing: Like "hey man I want a f*cking sandwich, look I'm I'm cursing, f*ck you, sh*t," says character.It almost seemed seething with melodrama to me. I wanted to love this book but now I just want to light it to flames. It was that bad....... Darn it, over hyped, poorly constructed characters and motive. Plus, the font drove me crazy insane but that's not the writer's fault.

The only thing I can say about this novel is that New York was described very very very well. As a Thriller, it lacked depth (as shallow as a puddle), it lacked a back story. Plus the protagonist was nothing more than a Lisabeth , knock off (I don't like the Lisabeth Series , Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Series as well).Grrrrr well happy reading folks, anyone 18 and over who loves back stories , deep well thought should stay away!

All in all, this is more for the young to mid teen crowd, who will just love this book. I can see why a lot of people love it but it isn't for me. Gosh I really wanted to like it! I'm starting to think it's because I like teeny fiction with depth (yes in my late teens but never the less, I am a teen). Enough of my sulking of my "teenagerness" slipping out of my fingers like a buttery steak knife. Back to Dark Eyes, it's not as advanced and well thought out as I expected it to be. So I'll leave it to the young to mid-teens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Eyes.

March 28, 2012 – Shelved