Bridget's Reviews > The Road by Jack London, Fiction, Action & Adventure

The Road by Jack London, Fiction, Action & Adventure by Jack London
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road by Jack London, Fiction, Action & Adventure.

Quotes Bridget Liked

Jack London
“Every once in a while, in newspapers, magazines, and biographical dictionaries, I run upon sketches of my life, wherein, delicately phrased, I learn that it was in order to study sociology that I became a tramp. This is very nice and thoughtful of the biographers, but it is inaccurate. I became a tramp — well, because of the life that was in me, of the wanderlust in my blood that would not let me rest. Sociology was merely incidental; it came afterward, in the same manner that a wet skin follows a ducking. I went on "The Road" because I couldn't keep away from it; because I hadn't the price of the railroad fare in my jeans; because I was so made that I couldn't work all my life on "one same shift"; because — well, just because it was easier to than not to.”
Jack London, The Road by Jack London, Fiction, Action & Adventure

Jack London
“Perhaps the greatest charm of tramp-life is the absence of monotony. In Hobo Land the face of life is protean—an ever changing phantasmagoria, where the impossible happens and the unexpected jumps out of the bushes at every turn of the road. The hobo never knows what is going to happen the next moment; hence, he lives only in the present moment. He has learned the futility of telic endeavor, and knows the delight of drifting along with the whimsicalities of Chance”
Jack London, The Road by Jack London, Fiction, Action & Adventure